Sunday, December 21, 2008

Wireless Pipe Cleaners

Tired. This is one of those days where I think I got less sleep than my memory cross referenced with my clocks would seem to indicate.

I keep forgetting to mention Majel Barrett Roddenberry's death last week. Both she and Alexander Courage died in 2008 so I guess this has been a gloomy year for Star Trek. Maybe it's hard for me to really feel like that, though, because I'm so used to hearing George Takei on Howard Stern all the time nowadays singing songs like, "Brass Big Balls" and "I'm Dreaming of a White Penis".

Maybe we don't live in a time innocent enough for Star Trek. A couple weeks ago, my sister and I were talking about Ally McBeal and how people made such a big deal about the short skirts Calista Flockhart wore. Can you imagine anyone making a fuss about that now?

Anyway, I'm too tired for much of a post. So here's a poem I wrote about Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ode to Asuka

A pin's space in a box
She can take it okay
All the rust fused locks
She'll wait again to-day

Right thing to do, caution
And safer than sorry
Hazard of decision
Delayed like the fury

But the frost never works
S2 engine burns on
The blind beast yet coiled lurks
More timid than a fawn


Yeah, I'm a hopeless fanboy. I'm really curious about how they'll handle her story in the new Rebuild movies.

I sort of wonder if the story of Yukino in His and Her Circumstances, which is about an emotionally repressed girl who lets her guard down and miraculously finds love, was something Anno felt he had to do to cheer himself up after the emotionally locked up people in Evangelion, like how Kurosawa had to make Yojimbo after The Bad Sleep Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment