Saturday, March 26, 2016

Bunny Week of the Doctor

I'm fighting the urge to just sit and stare into space for hours. Woo hoo, Spring Break! Yes, it more or less starts for me to-day, technically Monday because we're pretending it's not religious. So finally I'll have time to work on my comic. And finish unpacking. And look for a room mate. And the hundred or so other things that've piled up on my to-do list. I sure wish I had a TARDIS. And someone to dust it for me. Does the Doctor dust and vacuum? I guess there's probably nanites for that or something.

This past week I listened to No Man's Land, a Doctor Who audio play from 2006. The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and his companions Ace (Sophie Aldred) and Hex (Philip Olivier) find themselves in France in World War I and surprisingly expected. There's letter awaiting them from the top brass telling the officers to expect a "Doctor" and companions to visit and investigate a murder that hasn't happened yet. Investigating a murder within spitting distance of the trenches is a bit like observing a drop of water at the beach. The dialogue is a little lame in this one--Ace has a line about Hex's "perfectly formed posterior" I guess is meant to establish a possible romance between them but good grief is that clunky, the subject matter making it embarrassingly so.

It ends up being a story about the amoral conditioning of soldiers into killers, something Doctor Who has covered many times in better ways. Ultimately, No Man's Land made me just want to watch The War Games from the Second Doctor era again. I'm continually disappointed my favourite 80s Doctor, Seven, seems to get the worst audio play scripts. Well, he has had a few good ones so far. And I've plenty to listen to yet--I'm only in 2006 and they're still making these things to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment