Thursday, May 14, 2009

"I Want to Be a Sailor . . ."

Check out Roger Ebert's recent Great Movies review for the 1940 version of The Thief of Bagdad. The last line from the review; "Today, when dizzying CGI effects, the Queasy-Cam and a frantic editing pace seem to move films closer to video games, witness the beauty of "Thief of Bagdad" and mourn."

Damn straight. I remember hearing about how Sergio Leone thought movies he watched as a kid moved too quickly. To-day's movies would probably seem like white noise to him.

My tweets from last night;

Manga's safe behind glass at the comic store.
Wildflower honey's almost liquid.
I have disks and two guitars on my floor.
This room is versatile and intrepid.


Mostly I just worked on my comic yesterday, but I did stop by a comic book shop and pick up volume three of Happy Mania. It feels good to actually buy something at one of the constantly relocating Comics and Stuffs in San Diego. They just so rarely have what I want--maybe now they're a step closer to permanent locations.

I've continued watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with dinner over the past few nights. I watched the second episode of the second season last night--"Some Assembly Required", which featured Xander blowing Cordelia off when she tried to thank him for saving her life. Xander's kind of a dick for the whole episode actually, and everyone does a lot of projecting, particularly Giles in his depressing date with Ms. Calendar. Ms. Calendar, the Internet expert . . . Her introductory episode is kind of fascinating as it came from a time when writers could just make up a lot of random shit about the internet and people watching could be expected to take it as credible. This added to the fact that the actress playing Calendar is incredibly bland, though, is making me itchy for the episode that finally kills her off. She gets turned into a vampire, right? Gods, I really don't think I've seen these episodes since they were first run.

How the hell does my spell-check not have "Cordelia"? It has "Cornelia" but not "Cordelia". What the fuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment