Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Revised History of Gunfights

Last night's tweets;

Looks like another good layer of dust.
Something else I have to find time to do.
As meals, in soup I have placed lots of trust.
You know, to-day, the fact is nothing's new.


Yeah, I did pretty much nothing but work on my comic yesterday. I did watch a bunch of clips from Cannes of Inglourious Basterds on AICN--this one's my favourite so far, especially with Tarantino's introduction. I get a kick out of that guy's enthusiasm for his work. And, man, am I looking forward to this movie--from the impossible scar on Brad Pitt's throat to the fact that 90% of the move is dialogue and two thirds of the dialogue is apparently in French or German, everything I see and hear about this movie whets my appetite. It sounds like Inglourious Basterds is gloriously off the rails.

Anyway, on the subject of upcoming movies, I meant to talk about the new trailer for Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes pastiche the other day;



In a way, I actually kind of like that it so completely departs from the original works--I mean, anything that tried to do an honest adaptation would just make me feel depressed about the fact that Jeremy Brett is dead. Sherlock Holmes pastiches are a well worn tradition at this point, and I certainly enjoyed Young Sherlock Holmes, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, the Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles, and some of the Basil Rathbone films. I'm fully willing to entertain the idea this new movie might be fun. The only thing that really bugs me is the title--it's the same thing with the new Star Trek. It's like the studio conning people into accepting this as a replacement for everything that's come before--it's a phenomenon that seems related to short attention spans to me somehow.

It'd be nice to enjoy a Guy Ritchie film again, now that he's escaped The Island of Madonna.

No comments:

Post a Comment