Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Good Cheese is the Cheese You Know

Last night's tweets;

The big box is the one that won't open.
Good cheese is quite impossible to slice.
Don't submit any requests to Oden.
Your boxes and cheeses aren't worth his price.


My last tweet was retweeted by AllTheCheeses, which apparently republishes every tweet that includes the word "cheeses" (plural). It is with solemn reverence I accept this honour.

Before anyone gets too excited, I was only talking about those little Babybell cheeses that come in the red wax. They are good.

I finally had a chance to go to the movies yesterday--I went with my sister to see Bruno, which I enjoyed, though not as much as I thought I was going to. Maybe it's just that it was impossible for it to live up to the expectations it generated--Bruno's interview with the terrorist leader wasn't nearly as interesting as I'd hoped, though it was fascinating in itself to see this guy talking to Bruno. I guess it should come as no surprise that a terrorist would come off as an exceptionally focused man.

Ron Paul, on the other hand, seemed spacey as usual, which maybe actually speaks well for him. What struck me most about that segment was how oblivious Paul seemed, and how he began calling Bruno a "queer" when most people would have figured filming was still going on (as Roger Ebert pointed out in his review). And for the first time I actually started to seriously think maybe Ron Paul is dumb enough to have not known about the racist newsletters he published for around fifteen years. The way he lets his trend-slave people lead him around now is maybe the way he let radical right wingers lead him around in the past.

It's nice to see audiences comfortable with the amount of sexuality portrayed onscreen in this movie. Bruno's interviews with Christian counsellors committed to turning gay men straight turns out to be less fascinating for explorations of their ingrained homophobia as it is for an exploration of their misogyny--the second guy goes on and on about how women talk too much, never get to the point, and seem silly--as though to say, "Yes, I get it, women are horrible." All the undersized lederhosen and exercise bike dildos in the world could not make Bruno seem more deeply disturbed these guys.

Later in the evening, I reached level 30 in World of Warcraft. Yatta. My sister apparently got a job at the Anaheim BlizzCon next month--she's going to run a shuffleboard game. She hasn't found out if she gets to dress up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment