Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Elementary Webs



Now that's what I call Halloween weather. Well, the exposure setting on my camera's lying, actually, it looked more like this to-day;



Feeling pretty groggy, but not as out of it as yesterday. There's been a lot of noise around here for some reason and I think the erosion of my sleep is getting to me. Anyway, I went through school yesterday like the Frankenstein monster through a storeroom of precariously stacked metal kitchenware. There was a test in my Interpersonal Communication class and I realised only as I was driving home that I simply forgot to answer the last question. I knew the answer, I simply failed to answer it for no apparent reason. It was a written response test and I'd already done a lot of scratching out of words I'd misspelled or written twice. The thing's probably a mess.



I haven't started my Halloween week of horror films yet, I probably will to-night. Yesterday was just TV shows--I watched the second episode of Sherlock, which was a lot better than I thought it would be considering it was written by Steve Thompson, who wrote the extraordinarily dull and unimaginative Doctor Who episode "The Curse of the Black Spot".

I see now that Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss is aiming for more of a superhero Holmes than we saw in the original stories. According to this article;

Recent television versions, Gatiss fears, have been too reverential and too slow. Instead he and Moffat have adopted "the magpie approach" to the canon, like the screenwriters behind his favourite Basil Rathbone films of the 1940s.

He's probably not talking about the Hallmark produced Matt Frewer series--I'm taking it he disliked the Jeremy Brett series. That does kind of rile me a little, but I can see the fun in the Basil Rathbone-esque Holmes, as the Sherlock version seems to be.

I also watched Sunday's Boardwalk Empire, which is my favourite so far this season. My favourite part was when Eli explained to his deputy that he'd killed "Mayor Pickford" and the deputy replied, "You killed Mary Pickford?!" I also like how Margaret and her servant seem to be competing on who can wake up in the middle of the night with the more improbably great hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment